- 07 Mar 2023
- 5 Minutes to read
Performance Review Process
- Updated on 07 Mar 2023
- 5 Minutes to read
This workflow describes the performance review process from the point of view of steps performed and roles involved. The description also includes the preparation stage.
Performance Review Process Prerequisites
- Create a performance review form template that will be used to create performance review rounds.
- Set up performance review workflows to define the steps of a performance review (people who will be required to fill in the performance review form and in which order they will do it).
- Set up summary review scores to be able to evaluate employee performance on the basis of the scored in the Summary Score.
- Set up weighted sections for calculated score to be able to assign weight to each section to define how it contributes to the score when calculating score for a performance review.
- Set up performance review types to be able to group and filter performance reviews by type.
- Set up performance review email templates
- Additional performance review settings:
- Enable ad-hoc reviews if want to allow specific employees into an already launched performance review round.
- Enable form history if you to save the performance review form history after each step of the round.
- Set Include Previous Responsible in Notifications to Yes if you want to include previous assessors into the notification mailing list for them to be able to track the performance review form movement through the review steps
Goals (required for the workflow below only if goals are set and assessed in the performance review)
- Goal areas to be able to group goals by area when you set up company goals.
- Goal ratings to be able to evaluate achievement of qualitative goals (goals that are not measured by the quantitative indicators).
- Advanced settings:
- Select the type of goals you use in the employees' performance assessment. In this scenario, the Both goal type is used to be able to assign both qualitative and quantitative goals to employees.
- Select the Allow Goal Editing During Review Only check box if you want to allow employees to edit their goals during the performance review only. Selecting this check box will make the goals on the My Goals page non-editable.
Competencies (required for the workflow below only if competencies are assessed during performance review)
- Competency areas which will be used to group competencies by area.
- Competency groups which are second-level groups in the framework that cover more specific sets of skills within competency areas.
- Competencies to be able to define competencies for competency groups.
- Competency levels to be able to specify competency levels in employee assessment during performance reviews, manager ongoing assessments and job interviews.
- Competency level descriptions to be able to provide assessment participants with a clear vision of what actions and behavior are expected for each level of every job role competency.
- Competency criteria types to define types of competency criteria.
- Competency criteria to be able to define particular criteria for each competency so that the person responsible for assessment will assess each criterion and the total competency score will be calculated as the average of the criteria scores.
- Job competencies to be able to define competencies for job roles.
- Competency importance to define relative importance of competencies.
- Additional competency settings:
- Competency Assessment Method that defines how competencies will be assessed.
- Competency Score Calculation that defines which assessments will be included in the final score calculation
- Enable Weighted Groups if you to use different weight of competency groups to fine-tune the relevance of your overall scores.
- Enable Manual Group Assessment if you need a separate score to be set manually for each competency group during assessment
- Allow Manual Assessment Date if you want to be able to set the assessment date manually.
Performance Review Process
The following diagram illustrates the typical performance review process. This process includes the preparation stage and the performance review round. The description of the process covers possible sections on the performance review form and explains where information on the performance review form comes from.
Performance Review Process Description
To assess performance of employees, performance reviews are conducted. As a result of performance review, the employee’s performance score is calculated and bonuses are calculated. The performance review process is linked to other workflows and processes, such as goal management, competency management, defining KPI values, and other areas. Therefore, if your company practices conducting performance reviews through Lanteria HR, those related operations can be performed directly during performance review on the performance review form.
Preparation for the performance review
To prepare for a performance review, HR needs to ensure that the following performance review components are available:
- Performance review form – In the performance review form designer, HR defines which sections the performance review form will have. If an appropriate performance review form is not available, HR creates a new one.
- Performance review workflow – This workflow defines the steps of a performance review round (responsible people who will be required to fill in the performance review form and in which order they will need to do it). If such a workflow is not available, HR sets up a new performance review workflow.
Then, when the time for the performance review comes, HR is ready to start a performance review round. Alternatively, if performance review generation rules were configured, a performance review along with performance review forms is automatically generated according to the performance review generation rules.
Performance review round
The steps of the performance review process depend on the selected performance review workflow (who are responsible persons that must fill in the performance review form and in which order they must do it).
The first responsible person (usually it is the employee) opens the form and fills in the performance review form. The form layout (the sections to fill in) depends on the performance review form template that is used for this performance review round. The responsible person reviews information on the form, fills in new data and makes assessment where necessary. Please note that existing data if available is used in certain sections (Objectives, Competencies, KPIs, Development Needs, Career Goals and Job Responsibilities) which are synchronized with the corresponding pages in Lanteria HR.
As a result of filling in data, the current score (which is based on data from the Objectives, Competencies, and KPIs sections) and bonuses (based on data from the Objectives section), if bonuses are set up, are calculated and displayed on the I (Information) tab of the form.
HR monitors the performance review and can make changes at any review stage, such as change review steps, change responsible persons, return the review to previous responsible person, complete the review round ahead of time, review the round details, export data to Excel, etc.
After the first responsible person fills in the performance review form, he or she submits the form.
The next responsible person (for example, the employee’s manager), according to the performance review workflow, fills in the form in a similar way.
Filled in and calculated data on a completed performance review form is saved and the form becomes non-editable.